Skip to main content

Macro friendly "French Toast"

I'm pretty excited about my new breakfast, so I wanted to share it with you all. My diet was recently changed, so I'm coming up with creative ways to eat it. My 40 grams of oats were switched our for an english muffin (basically the same macros). Now, I can certainly just toast the english muffin and eat it with my eggs, but what's the fun in that?!?!

I decided to make my muffins into french toast and it worked out perfectly. This was my first time making it, so I'm sure there will be tweaks along the way! Please note, this is a full description of how I made my whole breakfast this morning. If you want to make the french toast only, you could probably just use 2 oz of egg whites or just one large whole egg. I haven't made it that way yet, so you may need to play around with egg quantity. 

I know the suspense is killing you, so I'll get right to it!

Ingredients: (keeping in mind that these are my macros, so you can adjust for your needs)

1 whole egg
8 oz egg whites (2 oz for the french toast, 6 oz cooked separately)
1 english muffin
cinnamon to taste (optional)
Walden Farms syrup to taste (optional)

Approximate macros (for the whole meal):

Calories: 330
Protein: 35
Carbs: 25
Fat: 5

 
Recipe:
1. Whisk the egg and egg whites together with the cinnamon until they are well incorporated and a little frothy.

2. place the english muffin into the mixture and flip it over until it is well coated with the egg mixture. 

3. Spray skillet with cooking spray and allow it to heat up (be careful not to let it get too hot, or the cooking spray will burn).

4. Remove the muffins from the egg mixture (hold the excess to the side) and place them on the skillet, and cook them for a few minutes on each side (you want t make sure all of the raw egg is cooked and they get golden brown).
5. Once the "french toast" is done, remove them from the skillet. Add a little more cooking spray and cook the remainder of your egg mixture. 
6. Plate and serve with Walden Farms sugar free syrup (if desired). 

A few tips: This was my first time making this, I would probably add a bit of stevia or sugar free vanilla syrup to the egg mixture next time. In addition, if you don't want to remainder of your eggs "sweet," you could use a small amount of the mixture to coat the muffins and then cook the remaining egg mixture with salt and pepper (or other savory spice). I am a sweets person, so doing it this way worked great for me. 

Let me know if you try this recipe and if you find any cool modifications! 

Happy Eating!

Comments